Friday, 11 September 2026

XPPen Artist Pro 27 (Gen 2) review: A designer’s dream display

XPPen Artist Pro 27 (Gen 2) review: A designer’s dream display

Not often do I get the chance to review a product that has everyday work benefits as well as being super fun to use. The XPPen Artist Pro 27 (Gen 2) drawing display fits the bill perfectly.

For context, I have a background in graphic design, so naturally, a drawing product like this is something that could be very useful for me. Just how useful and in what areas is something I was keen to explore more.

XPPen Artist Pro 27 (Gen 2) specifications and price

Price (RRP)$2,899.99
Display27-inch, 4K (3840 x 2160), 16:9 aspect ratio, 120Hz refresh rate
Brightness350 nits
Colour1.07 billion colours, 99% Adobe RGB, 99% sRGB, 97% Display P3, Calman Verified
Screen surfaceEtched glass, fully laminated, anti-glare and anti-fingerprint coating
TouchX-Touch Solution, ten-point multi-touch, customisable gestures
StylusX3 Pro Smart Chip Stylus and X3 Pro Slim Stylus (both included), 16,384 pressure levels, 60-degree tilt, +/-0.4mm accuracy
Shortcut remoteACK05, customisable shortcut keys and a physical dial
StandAdjustable, 16 to 72-degree tilt
ConnectivityUSB-C, HDMI, DisplayPort
CompatibilityWindows, macOS, Android, ChromeOS, Linux
Dimensions681.3 x 423.8 x 44.0mm
Weight7kg
In the boxDrawing display, two styluses, pen case with spare nibs, ACK05 shortcut remote, cables, stand, cleaning cloth
Official websiteXPPen website
Warranty18 months

First impressions

Before even taking the Artist Pro 27 out of the box, I was taken aback by just the weight of the thing. At 7kg, this is not a typical drawing tablet I could slide into my backpack. In fact, I am not sure I can call this a tablet at all. It’s more of a drawing display.

While I know this was a 27-inch display, that did nothing to prepare me for the unboxing. Taking out this mega drawing display was quite the experience. Right away, it struck me as a very impressive piece of technology created for professionals. To put it simply, this thing is huge! And it doesn’t stop there, as it comes with so many extras.

Before diving any deeper, I want to highlight that there are three major types of drawing tablets. Pen tablets, which are flat, touch-sensitive pads with no built-in screen. Standalone drawing tablets, which are fully self-contained computers. And pen displays, which have built-in LCD or OLED screens.

Standalone drawing tablets are the only type that can be used independently, and this is possibly why they are so popular these days. I’ve often seen brands like Wacom and Apple in this space. As for the Artist Pro 27, this falls into the pen display category, meaning it’s more of a drawing monitor and it needs to be plugged into a computer to operate.

Design

Plugging in the Artist Pro 27 was a breeze. The back of the display has a handy removable panel that reveals the inputs. With all the cables included, I had several options for how to connect it to my computer. After running the power, I went with a combination of HDMI and USB-C to USB-A.

As this was my first experience with such a high-end pen display, I wasn’t sure how the setup would work. In the end, my computer treated it like just another display. I was able to rearrange and customise how my normal computer monitor and this new display aligned. I settled on having the Artist Pro 27 under my general monitor as that’s how it was physically positioned on my desk.

The stand is another genius part of the Artist Pro 27. It is such a simple design, yet it’s make-or-break on a product like this. With a pull of a lever, the stand gave me a continuous range of angles from 16 degrees to 72 degrees. XPPen did a fantastic job creating an easy-to-use solution that is also super stable. While testing the display at several different angles, I never had a problem with it rocking or moving at all. Some of the credit here should go to the rubber feet which are on the stand and the front edge of the display.

Software

I then downloaded the software for the display to get started. So often, we see unwanted bloatware or drivers that try to do too much. Fortunately, that’s not the case here. With the XPPen, it’s simple, clear and easy to use. I was quickly able to calibrate the screen and adjust my work area. There is also a floating menu that I could adjust as I saw fit. Plus, there are all of the expected display adjustments, including brightness, contrast and sharpness. I also loved the ability to change the colour space.

Display quality

Next, let’s talk about the display: this is another standout from XPPen. This massive 27-inch display has a 4K resolution, an impressive 120Hz refresh rate, and 1.07 billion colours. The designer in me loves this, as a huge range of colours combined with a smooth high refresh rate creates a fantastic drawing experience.

In terms of brightness, the Artist Pro 27 comes in at 350 nits, with handy physical buttons along the top for adjustments. This is more than bright enough, as this display isn’t for travelling with. I plugged it into my laptop or PC, and it typically didn’t move from there.

XPPen Artist Pro 27
Image: XPPen.

Drawing surface and performance

The XPPen Artist Pro 27 has a somewhat paper-like display. It’s fully laminated, so there is basically no gap between the pen tip and the cursor, making it much more natural to draw or write on. This is all built on luminous etched glass, which is only 0.7 mm thick. I really enjoyed the feel of the display throughout my testing. It took me some time to adjust to using a stylus, yet the paper-like feel made it a quick transition. I haven’t drawn in a long time, so this almost felt a little nostalgic.

And not only is the screen amazing to draw on, but the touchscreen means I can also use my hands. All types of gestures, like swiping, zooming, and rotating, are all smooth and seamless. It feels intuitive, like it all happens naturally as I work. Through the XPPen software, I could customise the touch area, letting me exclude some areas to avoid accidental touches or mistakes. Super handy, yet when I was doing anything detailed, I typically turned off the touch function with the button at the top of the device.

Image: XPPen.

As if that wasn’t already enough ways to use this incredible display, there’s one more. The Artist Pro 27 comes with an ACK05 shortcut remote. This is essentially a tiny wireless keyboard that has a bunch of buttons so I can quickly change tools or do any number of things with the hand that isn’t drawing.

The best part about this remote has to be the dial. Having a physical dial to make adjustments like changing the size of my brush or zooming in that perfect amount is priceless. This is a real quality-of-life inclusion, and it just feels great to use.

Stylus

What good is an amazing drawing surface if I don’t have a quality stylus to use on it? XPPen’s answer is to include both the X3 Pro Smart Chip and the X3 Pro Slim styluses, so I could choose which worked for my specific task at hand.

Having recently used the X3 Pro Slim Stylus while testing the XPPen Magic Drawing Pad, I can attest to its quality. However, I reached for the X3 Pro stylus more frequently. Maybe it was the thicker shape that made it seem a little more stable in my hand. Either way, both of these are great options. With 16K pressure levels, 60-degree tilt and 0.4 mm accuracy, it’s hard to complain when using these ultra-sensitive and responsive pens.

Another included extra is a pen case. I wasn’t expecting this, but a pen case is such a great idea. It’s a similar shape and size to a glasses case, and it does a great job of holding both of the styluses and all of the additional stylus-related items like spare nibs. Speaking of which, there is no shortage of replacement nibs included. A pack of 10 for each stylus type plus eight additional nibs included in the pen case will keep me going for a very long time.

Maybe, over time, getting pens in and out of the case could become tiresome. But XPPen has thought of that too. Included as part of the display are two stylus holders that sit at the top of the product. This keeps my stylus in arm’s reach at all times so it’s easy to pick up where I left off.

How I use the XPPen Artist Pro 27

This is where I really started to enjoy using the Artist Pro 27: exploring how the product could fit in with my work and which creative tasks it complemented.

My first area of investigation was to experiment with some larger illustrations for things like interface backgrounds or banner artwork. This was so fun; I could feel free to draw and embellish as much as I wanted to. I should clarify that my illustration skills leave a lot to be desired. But maybe, with a product like this, I could make some big improvements over a short period of time. I can see that this is possibly the major use case for this device, as the huge, high-quality screen lends itself to those who are artistic and able to draw with freedom.

The more I thought about it, the more I came to the realisation that I am not that person. Sure, I am creative. But I am a designer, not an artist. My thoughts are more process-driven, and my skills are much more centred around visual balance, hierarchy and overall strategy. This, however, doesn’t mean the Artist Pro 27 isn’t useful for me. It just means I need to try to play to my skillset and consider which areas of my design process this display can help elevate. And this is where I found the most joy.

Branding or logo design concepting was a hit. When it comes to creating a new logo or brand identity for a company, I start by creating lots and lots of quick sketches. This is a great process for getting a lot of ideas out very quickly. It also helps to avoid any mental block caused by one idea constantly reemerging. If I sketch it, it’s out there on the paper, and I can move to the next one. The idea here is to not worry if the ideas aren’t perfect. It’s all about volume.

From there, I would typically select a few of my favourites and turn them into digital files by illustrating them over top of a photograph of my original sketches. This is where the Artist Pro 27 came in as a new solution. I could combine these two steps by drawing my initial ideas on the pen display from the start. This had great results as I was saving time while also enjoying the process.

XPPen Artist Pro 27
Image: XPPen.

Another area I spent a fair bit of time exploring was script and cursive fonts. This is something that is basically impossible when designing with a mouse and keyboard. Sure, I can download fonts that somewhat replicate what I am after, yet with my mouse I could never create something that is truly custom and unique.

With the XPPen Artist Pro 27, the massive screen and incredible stylus make it easy. I can use the space like I am drawing on a large piece of paper, using the full range of my arm to build flow and rhythm into my lettering. Once again, this was so much fun to experiment with.

Who is the XPPen Artist Pro 27 (Gen 2) for?

Professional artists, designers and creatives who need serious screen real estate will get the most out of the Artist Pro 27. It isn’t purely a tool for illustrators either. The huge, colour-accurate screen and dual stylus system suit design-led work just as well, whether that’s sketching out logo concepts or creative custom lettering, something that’s difficult to do with a mouse and keyboard.

This isn’t a casual purchase, though. At $2,899.99, it’s priced for professionals or those who want the best of the best. It also takes up permanent desk space. At 7kg and tethered to a computer at all times, this is a display you set up once and leave in place.

At the time of writing, the XPPen Artist Pro 27 (Gen 2) was on sale for $2,174.99 as part of the brand’s 21st anniversary. More than $700 off is a decent deal, especially for a device you could use every day for work.

So if drawing, illustrating or designing is a genuine, ongoing part of your work, and you’ve got the desk space and budget to match, the Artist Pro 27 is a great option. If you’re after something more portable, or you only sketch occasionally, a smaller or standalone option, like XPPen’s Magic Drawing Pad, is likely a better fit.

Frequently asked questions

How much does the XPPen Artist Pro 27 (Gen 2) cost in Australia?

The XPPen Artist Pro 27 (Gen 2) has an RRP of $2,899.99, available through XPPen’s official Australian store.

Does the XPPen Artist Pro 27 (Gen 2) work as a standalone tablet?

No. The Artist Pro 27 (Gen 2) is a pen display, not a standalone tablet, so it needs to be connected to a computer to work.

What styluses come with the XPPen Artist Pro 27 (Gen 2)?

It ships with two styluses, the X3 Pro Smart Chip Stylus and the X3 Pro Slim Stylus, both offering 16,384 pressure levels and 60-degree tilt recognition.

How heavy is the XPPen Artist Pro 27 (Gen 2)?

The display weighs 7kg, so it’s designed to sit permanently on a desk rather than be packed away or moved around often.

Can the XPPen Artist Pro 27 (Gen 2)’s stand be adjusted?

Yes. The built-in stand tilts through a continuous range from 16 to 72 degrees, adjusted with a single lever.

Is the XPPen Artist Pro 27 (Gen 2) suitable for beginners?

It’s better suited to professional artists, designers and creatives who’ll use its full capabilities regularly. Its size, price and screen-only design make it a big investment for anyone just starting out with digital art.

GadgetGuy occasionally uses affiliate links and may receive a small commission from purchased products.

XPPen Artist Pro 27 (Gen 2)
If drawing, illustrating or designing is a genuine, ongoing part of your work, and you’ve got the desk space and budget to match, the Artist Pro 27 is a great option.
Features
9
Value for money
8
Performance
10
Ease of use
10
Design
9
Positives
Enormous screen size
Two stylus options included
Simple software
Clever stand
Negatives
Heavy, and has a large footprint
9.2

The post XPPen Artist Pro 27 (Gen 2) review: A designer’s dream display appeared first on GadgetGuy.


0 comments:

Post a Comment